Re: Leading zeroes in 1*DIGIT productions

From: Jeff Walden <jwalden@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:15:42 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

On 18.12.08 11:49, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Alternately, making it clear that leading zeroes are allowed but
>> (perhaps) MUST NOT be sent would be acceptable.
>
> How would that help? As far as I can tell, leading zeros are totally
> harmless. Do you have evidence of problems caused by them?

No; it's merely that they're only implicitly allowed by the production, not explicitly noted in the accompanying prose.  A note like "leading zeroes are ignored" would be fine (and note that I did say "perhaps"); I just don't see evidence that this oddity was intentional, and if it can't be removed I'd rather it be explicitly allowed.

Jeff