RE: NEW ISSUE: Methods and Caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:53:52 +0100
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On mån, 2008-11-17 at 10:03 -0600, Brian Smith wrote:

> I searched through RFC 2616 for a long time trying to find this. Where is it specified that a cached POST response can be returned for a subsequent GET request?

The implicit fact that HTTP cache is primarily for GET/HEAD resource
response entities, and the last sentence in the definition of POST which
means to refer to the case where POST returns the modified resource
entity as such and not just a status report about the action taken.

This was discussed in earlier on this list I think... probably in 2007
or maye as early as 2006. But for some reason I can't find a reference
to it now. Then partially referenced in the "requested variant"
discussion.

Regards
Henrik