draft -05 and current status

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:17:11 -0600
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

As you can see, we have draft -05 available this morning.

Last week, the editors and I got together in sunny (and,
unfortunately, combustable) Southern California to work on these.
Thanks to Roy Fielding/Day Software for hosting.

-05's focus is on the ABNF conversion (#36), including dealing with
line folding (#77) and LWS (#30), as discussed previously. There is
still some ABNF-related work to do (e.g., programmatically expanding
the # rule into a pure-ABNF appendix, cleaning up the relationship
between the general header syntax and specific headers), but the core
of the work is there and ready for review.

We anticipate having -06 available in a small number of weeks. This
will include rewrites of parts 1 (messaging), 5 (ranges) and 6
(caching) for editorial clarity, and will contain a number of
proposals for open issues from the editors. This is a bit of a change
from our past working practices, but should help us get moving forward
again. I expect a healthy discussion of the drafts when they arrive.

Cheers,