Re: #90: multipart/byteranges

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On fre, 2008-11-14 at 18:49 -0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> multipart/byteranges as delimiter is defenitely in wide use for 206
>
> What is not supported in wide use is multipart/byteranges as delimiter
> for any other purpose such as sending requests..
>
> I don't see how we can disallow multipart/byteranges as delimiter. All
> clients sending multi-range requests MUST support it in 206 responses to
> such requests. A client not supporting multipart/byteranges as delimiter
> MUST NOT sent a multi-ranged request without also using Connection:
> close.

And this includes intermediaries blindly forwarding multi-range
requests.

The way to disallow multipart/byteranges as delimiter, then, so that
clients/intermediaries don't have to parse it, while remaining
compatible with the existing web, is to also disallow generation or
forwarding of multi-range requests in the current format.  IF
multi-range requests are still wanted, a different form of multi-range
requests would be needed which does not permit this type of delimiting
in the response.

-- Jamie