Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:27:44 +0200
To: Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>

Helge Hess wrote:

> On 20.10.2008, at 22:40, Brian Smith wrote:
>>> Proposal 1 IMHO breaks the PUT semantics (that's why I started this
>>> thread).
>>
>> Proposal 1 was: "Simply do allow that use case. WebDAV clients already
>> expect the server to create the resources at the URI they are given.
>> This is a pretty fundamental part of WebDAV; an extension of WebDAV
>> that didn't support it isn't an extension at all."
>>
>> In other words, just let the client pick the URI like we always have
>> in WebDAV, and don't attempt to support servers that do not want to
>> let the client pick the URI. There is nothing that breaks PUT's
>> semantics there.
>

> +1
>
> I actually prefer that over adding some custom POST to CardDAV / xyz.

Of course that's one possibility.

However, I have my doubts. CalDAV does the same, server implementers
have been complaining about the unnecessary overhead. Because of it,
some servers use a workaround that's not allowed per RFC2616, and
clients are expected to deal with it.

That really sounds like a problem looking for a proper solution, sorry.

BR, Julian