Re: must a partial response range be exact?

If this is agreed upon, the spec has to be changed at least to some
degree, since its current wording conflicts with these guidelines both
explicitly and implicitly in various places. Also note that these
guidelines do break existing implementations, since the RFC wording all
but encourages server-side range recombinations. Some possible fixes:

"When an HTTP message includes the content of a single range (for
  example, a response to a request for a single range, or to a request
  for a set of ranges that overlap without any holes)"

=> the sentence in parentheses should be only "(a response to a request
for a single range)", or dropped altogether

"When an HTTP message includes the content of multiple ranges (for
   example, a response to a request for multiple non-overlapping
   ranges), these are transmitted as a multipart message."

=> 'for example' and 'non-overlapping', or the entire sentence in
parentheses, should be dropped

"A response to a request for a single range MUST NOT be sent using the
   multipart/byteranges media type."

=> maybe add explicitly that "Clients should accept single-part
multipart/byterange responses"

"A response to a request for
   multiple ranges, whose result is a single range, MAY be sent as a
   multipart/byteranges media type with one part."

=> entire sentence must be dropped (resolving issue 133 in accordance to
these guidelines - I like this solution better than the other proposed
one since it reduces the complixity and ambiguity of the spec)

"When a client requests multiple byte-ranges in one request, the
   server SHOULD return them in the order that they appeared in the
   request"

=> maybe add that the ranges should be returned exactly as requested
(full correspondence of both number and order of ranges), and further
state explicitly that clients should accept anything the server throws
at them

Finally, possibly add a paragraph with what the client should/shouldn't
send (trivially combinable ranges, meaningful order, obviously
overlapping ranges), though with this new set of guidelines the rules
are simpler and less ambiguous, so this paragraph might be redundant and
common sense will suffice. Maybe still warn that if the client does
something too wasteful, the server can reject it, and if so, with what
error code (and/or full 200 response).

Regards,

Amichai