Re: [gears-eng] Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

From: Charles Fry <fry@google.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:28:13 -0400
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "Jamie Lokier" <jamie@shareable.org>, "Brian McBarron" <bpm@google.com>, gears-eng@googlegroups.com, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Alex Rousskov" <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

A few more thoughts on URLs and ETags:

- While it isn't clear in the examples on the wiki page, the initial
handshake is optional. In other words, it represents one extreme end
of the protocol, but the primitive requirement is that unique
identifier (whether URL or ETag) be obtained. This could very well be
present in an HTML page, for example, allowing a resumable upload
without the initial handshake.

 - Regarding ETags vs. URLs, one point of reference for me is CGI
scripts. A single CGI script running behind a fixed URL should (in my
mind) be able to perform a resumable upload, but this would require a
unique identification mechanism other than the URL.

Charles