Re: Factoring out Content-Disposition (i123), was: Content-Disposition (new issue?)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:43:04 +0200
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
CC: "'William A. Rowe, Jr.'" <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hi Brian,

thanks a lot for doing that research!

> When building test cases based on some KB articles I found today, I did
> finally find some bad behavior of IE in the following situations:
>
> * When the filename parameter is longer than 150 bytes (as few as 17+
> encoded characters), the filename gets truncated and otherwise mangled. (In

That's a problem I completely forgot about, thanks for the reminder.

> your upcoming Content-Disposition draft, you might want to provide some
> advice on minimum/maximum file name lengths.)

Any idea what that advice would be? Something like minimally 64 decoded
characters, resulting in an encoded name of 64 * 9 = 576 characters?

> * When the filename has a non-ASCII extension, IE doesn't decode the
> filename.

Interesting.

> Because of these two issues, I'm not sure it is worthwhile to try to get
> Firefox to handle Content-Disposition in a way that is consistent with
> Internet Explorer. I will wait to see if IE8 beta 2 removes the above two
> limitations and/or supports RFC 2231.

I wouldn't hold my breath for beta 2 (which I think is due soon), but I
certainly hope something can be done in a subsequent release.

> I didn't reproduce the locale-sensitivity part of the problem but I found
> some KB articles about it:

I think I recall seeing KB pages about related problems with Sharepoint,
but I currently can't find the article.

BR, Julian