Re: Factoring out Content-Disposition (i123)

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 02:08:57 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Brian Smith wrote:

> I sent this just to you because

Fortunately you didn't, what I wrote was plain wrong:

>> AFAIK this is not the case in RFC 2231, each piece
>> can have its own charset and language, please check.
[...]

> No, it is a limit explicitly stated in RFC 2231 in
> section 4.1: "Language and character set information
> only appear at the beginning of a given parameter
> value. Continuations do not provide a facility for
> using more than one character set or language in the
> same parameter value."

Indeed, thanks for checking.  IOW Julian's draft did
not add a new restriction wrt the number of languages
in a parameter value by limiting it to one piece.

For your other remark about the length of file names
in bytes (about 150):  You said this boils down to 17
code points.   150 / 3 / 17 is about 2.9, so far it's
clear.  But the "3" in  150 / 3 is apparently for the
percent-encoding (?)

A file system supporting Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16)
should be able to store about 50 or 75 code points.

IMO file name length limits don't belong in 2616bis:

<joke> Everybody knows that the limit is 8+3, 8+8,
14, 99, 255, or something else in octets for EBCDIC,
ASCII, OEM, ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-16, or similar. </joke>

 Frank