Re: Content-Disposition (new issue?)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:41:46 +0200
To: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Considering that, it's seems best to remove all mentions of C-D
>> from Part 3, and to create a separate spec that describes the
>> use of Content-Disposition within HTTP.
>
>> Feedback appreciated,
>
> If that separate draft ends up with *deprecating* Content-Dispo
> you could as well deprecate it in 2616bis, and be done with it.

No, that separate draft would *clarify* it, mainly describing which
subset of RFC 2183 and RFC 2231 makes sense over HTTP.

> Similar, if the separate draft would say "experimental" with a
> pointer to the old RFCs, no new insights, you could also do it
> in 2616bis.  Nothing forces you to say "standard" and fix it in
> 2616bis, just because you mention it for the IANA registration.

I would want to have it on the standards track (so feedback from our ADs
is needed).

> But if separate draft is no much work and clearer from your POV
> go for it.

It is some work, but somehow I've got the impression that the majority
of the WG just doesn't care enough to enhance what RCF2616 currently
says, so therefore I'm thinking about alternatives.

BR, Julian