Re: Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

From: Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:26:03 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 22:52 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (crossposted to both the HTTPbis WG's and HTML5 WG's mailing lists...)
>
> looking at
> <http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/02/ie8-security-part-v-comprehensive-protection.aspx>:
>
> "MIME-Handling: Sniffing Opt-Out
>
> Next, we’ve provided web-applications with the ability to opt-out of
> MIME-sniffing. Sending the new authoritative=true attribute on the
> Content-Type HTTP response header prevents Internet Explorer from
> MIME-sniffing a response away from the declared content-type."
>
> Let's ignore the issue of inventing a new media type parameter for all
> new media types for a moment...
>
> It's good that MS recognizes that content-type-sniffing may be bad and
> that they are doing something about it. But is this really the right
> approach?

If they assume that fixing all the bust clients they have been shipping
for years is infeasible, then I think they would have concluded its the
right way.

I think its bogus - it requires every web site author in existence to
change their site to fix a defect in MSIE. Thats got to be harder to
deploy than just a hotfix to MSIE to not sniff at all. 'Sorry, bad idea,
fixed in hotfix #12345.'

-Rob