Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:52:31 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

(crossposted to both the HTTPbis WG's and HTML5 WG's mailing lists...)

looking at

"MIME-Handling: Sniffing Opt-Out

Next, we’ve provided web-applications with the ability to opt-out of
MIME-sniffing. Sending the new authoritative=true attribute on the
Content-Type HTTP response header prevents Internet Explorer from
MIME-sniffing a response away from the declared content-type."

Let's ignore the issue of inventing a new media type parameter for all
new media types for a moment...

It's good that MS recognizes that content-type-sniffing may be bad and
that they are doing something about it. But is this really the right

BR, Julian