Re: Default charsets for text media types [i20]

From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:38:40 -0400
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi Mark,

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 09:15:38 Mark Nottingham wrote:
> * 1. Should HTTPBIS continue to accommodate historical clients that
> assume that an unlabeled text/* type is iso-8859-1, rather than MIME's
> default ASCII?

Following your comment on a related issue in the vcarddav WG, I investigated
and came to the conclusion that MIME doesn't specify that text/* has a
default character set of ASCII. I may very well be wrong, and this email is
also a way to ask you for clarifications.

I see the definition of the charset parameter in RFC 2046, section 4.1.2. It
seems specific to text/plain, not text/*.

   A critical parameter that may be specified in the Content-Type field
   for "text/plain" data is the character set.

It is also mentioned that other text/* types may not even have the charset
parameter. So a default value would be meaningless.

   The specification for any future subtypes of "text" must specify
   whether or not they will also utilize a "charset" parameter, and may
   possibly restrict its values as well.

What I understand from this section is that there is no default character set
for text/*.