Re: PROPOSAL: i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:28:33 +0100
To: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Are you sure that you want more than one way (MIME) for this
> magic, and if yes, are you sure that \u'nnnnnn' is the right
> way in HTTP ?  If there is a chance that these values have to
> be displayed in HTML pages or used in XML files the NCR form
> &#xnnnnnn; might work "as is", for \u'nnnnnn' something needs
> to determine a corresponding UTF-16, hex. NCR, or UTF-8.

Not sure I understand this.

1) Even if you want to use a value in HTML or XML, you will need to
decode first, then re-encode, otherwise you'll end up with something
like "&amp;xnnnnnnn;". At least if you do it properly.

2) As far as I understand, the only difference between the two formats
(BCT137, 5.1 and 5.2) is how they are embedded.

BR, Julian