Re: PROPOSAL: i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

On 25/03/2008, at 10:40 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> remove the requirement that only RFC2047 encoding be used;
>> instead, recommend that context-specific encoding rules be
>> used (giving examples), and failing that, the \u'nnnnnn'
>> form from BCP137.
>
> Are you sure that you want more than one way (MIME) for this
> magic,

I think the argument here is that there's already more than one way;
e.g., IRIs serialised as URIs, RFC2231 (for Content-Disposition), 2822
(for From), etc.

> and if yes, are you sure that \u'nnnnnn' is the right
> way in HTTP?  If there is a chance that these values have to
> be displayed in HTML pages or used in XML files the NCR form
> &#xnnnnnn; might work "as is", for \u'nnnnnn' something needs
> to determine a corresponding UTF-16, hex. NCR, or UTF-8.

I'm not particularly attached to one form or another, although BCP137
does note the ugliness factor WRT NCRs.

Fair point WRT XML/HTML uses, although I wonder at how often that will
happen, and it doesn't seem difficult to accommodate...

Anybody else have a preference / argument for one or the other?

Cheers,