Re: i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 00:28:18 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:01 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> WRT reason phrases -- although that's what the spec says, I think that
> 'human user' is a stretch -- it's really for debugging / logging /
> development in common use.

Depends on where you draw the line between information and
diagnistics/debugging. Quite many command line or CLI tools do display
the reason phrase on non-200 responses for information to the user on
what is going on.

> Whether elements with that use case should
> be able to be internationalised is a separate discussion, of course.

True. And I don't think there is a need for this, but suspect some
people in areas where english isn't seen as a common language may
differ. The majority most likely do not care at all however.

Regards
Henrik