i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:52:30 +1100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

I think we've actually made progress on this; AFAICT, we seem to be
moving towards removing the generic text WRT RFC2047 encoding and
replacing it* with something that says that individual headers need to
nominate an encoding mechanism directly, and giving guidance on when
they should do so (roughly, wherever something is a candidate for
display and/or user input).

Is that where we're at?

If so, the next step would be to craft recommendations / requirements
about what that mechanism will be. Possibilities discussed;

a) RFC2047
b) UTF-8
c) Something from BCP137 section 5
d) IRI->URI

Separately, we'd need to open new issues for specifying these
encodings for the field-values of:
   - From
   - Warning
   - Content-Location
   - Location
   - Referer
   - Content-Dispostion (?)

Am I overlooking anything?

* It isn't actually replacing it, it's moving it to something specific
to the field-value of headers. I don't hear anyone talking about
internationalising other protocol elements at this point...