Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-httpbis-security-properties-01.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:16:44 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Now, regarding the touchy term "Web services", the draft currently
says, after a WS-bashing which seems to me a bit too personal for an
IETF document:

>  [[ This section could really use a good definition of "Web Services"
>   to differentiate it from REST. ]]

There is no clear and standard definition of "Web services". People
with suits often use it to refer to SOAP only. Other (like me) use it
for every technique layered on top of HTTP and XML, including
therefore REST.

A way to avoid any ambiguity would be not to use "Web services" at all
but the list "SOAP, XML-RPC and REST" which covers them all.

Since these three protocols use HTTP, they share many of the same
issues regarding security and therefore it is reasonable to treat them
together.