Re: IRIs, IDNAbis, and HTTP [i74]

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:55:33 +0100
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

Am 14.03.2008 um 11:46 schrieb Mark Nottingham:

> I think Larry was making much the same point at the app area arch
> ws, IIRC.
>
> My gut feeling on issue 74 is that if any encoding (e.g., IRI->URI,
> RFC2047) is usable in a header, it should be specified on a header-
> by-header basis explicitly, not inherited as a general rule like
> this. That allows the flexibility to use the right mechanism for
> the job, and keeps the overhead low.
>
> Are there any other headers (besides URI-based headers) that we
> need to consider, beyond these?
>  * WWW-Authenticate, Proxy-Authenticate, Authorization, Proxy-
> Authorization
>  * Content-Disposition
>  * From
>  * Warning
>  * PICS-Label

The whole "Auth" header series does not have the problem, I think.
All header values are ASCII.

Correct me if I'm wrong: the open issue is how to send user names/
passwords with non-ascii characters. But that is a matter of the auth
mechanism to specify, not an issue with HTTP headers. Example: Basic
puts Base64 values in the header. Those are always ASCII. But Base64
operates on octets and Basic just fails to specify how a username is
converted to octets, right?

//Stefan

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782