Re: Reclassification of Allow as a response header [i105]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:38:13 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, 'HTTP Working Group' <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Ah -- from Allow's definition:
>
>> The Allow header field MAY be provided with a PUT request to recommend
>> the methods to be supported by the new or modified resource. The
>> server is not required to support these methods and SHOULD include an
>> Allow header in the response giving the actual supported methods.
> Question: is this implemented anywhere? WebDAV folks?

Not that I know of, but it sounds kind of interesting.

For instance, PUT with Allow: VERSION-CONTROL would create a
version-controlled resource.

Of course there'd be the question whether the list in the request would
need to be complete -- so do I need to include PUT and GET to be able to
author and retrieve the resource?

BR, Julian