RE: PATCH vs multipart/byteranges vs Content-Range

From: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:32:05 -0800
To: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Brian Smith wrote:
> > Actually, this is wishful thinking on my part. HTTPbis should have
> > that requirement that Content-* cannot be ignored for any
> > method that uses a request body (especially POST), but RFC 2616
> > only has the requirement for PUT. Can a new issue be created for
> > that?
>
> Why would that have anything to do with the presence of a
> request body?

A server processing a GET or DELETE can ignore all Content-* headers in
the request, because the the request body doesn't have any semantics for
GET and DELETE, and Content-* describe the request's entity.

POST, PUT, and PATCH cannot ignore Content-* headers in the request
because those Content-* headers are needed to understand the request
body enough to process it--especially Content-Range and
Content-Encoding.

Another issue is "What does Content-*" mean? Does it mean all headers
prefixed with "Content-", or just those headers prefixed by "Content-"
that are defined in RFC 2616?

- Brian