Re: i69: Clarify "Requested Variant" [was: New "200 OK" status codes, PATCH & PROPFIND]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:25:29 +0100
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>

Adrien de Croy wrote:
> Quick question (hopefully) - what's the difference between
> "representation" in this case and "entity"?  I feel I'm missing something.

OK, let's try.

A representation:

"An entity included with a response that is subject to content
negotiation, as described in Section 12. There may exist multiple
representations associated with a particular response status." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.1.3>

An entity:

"The information transferred as the payload of a request or response. An
entity consists of metainformation in the form of entity-header fields
and content in the form of an entity-body, as described in Section 7."

So an entity can be a representation of a resource (such as for a
successful GET), but doesn't need to be.

Maybe it would make sense to enumerate all cases where this is the case?

Such as:

- GET -> 200
- PUT -> 201 where Content-Location == Request-URI
- POST -> 201 where Content-Location == Location
- ...

BR, Julian