Re: i22: ETags on PUT responses

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:16:48 +0100
To: Werner Baumann <werner.baumann@onlinehome.de>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Werner Baumann wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> In particular:
>>
>> - E does not apply to Rq
>>
>> - the presence of E in Rs does not necessarily imply that the body
>> sent with PUT was stored octet-by-octet
>>
>> - E does not depend on the request method, just on URI & selecting
>> headers
>>
> I wonder what the intended use of this Etag, sent in response to a
> PUT-request, would be. As the entity, sent in a subsequent GET is not
> guaranteed to be equal to the body of the PUT-request, not a single
> client knows the entity. But clients get an entity-tag - for an unknown
> entity. What are they supposed to use it for?

They can still use it in all kinds of conditional operations. See
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.html>
for examples, and keep in mind that just because a resource supports PUT
doesn't necessarily mean the server is a replacement for a file server
-- the storage may be XML based, for instance.

BR, Julian