Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:10:13 +0100
To: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
CC: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>, Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@hardakers.net>, dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> I seriously question this "will break" part. Sure, they will get
> annoyed, but in nearly all possible solutions layering ontop of the
> existing cookie system there will be easy ways for the owners of such
> sites to make them behave well, and a transition period giving them
> inciative and reasonable warning period to do so.

Other list participants were warning about the possibility of people
abandoning Firefox in droves if there were cookie-related problems
caused by its use of public suffix list. You, on the other hand, are
suggesting that we can just make changes to the way cookies work and
expect broken sites to fix themselves. These seem to be two
irreconcilable views of the future.

Long history and experience has shown us that we can't just break
people's websites like that.

Gerv