Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen <yngve@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:00:17 +0200
To: Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>, "Gervase Markham" <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:32:11 +0200, Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>
wrote:

> The problem with any such mechanisms is that the barrier of entry for
> new players (that does not match the currently used list -- including
> non-upgraded software) is increased. More than what people think.

That is why my subtld-structure draft is suggesting that TLD profiles be
downloaded at regular intervals (and at need) from a repository, in order
to make it possible to add new TLDs or new registry-like domains under a
TLD, and to prevent problems with old software. My drafts also suggest a
rule-of-thumb fallback in case a TLD is unknown.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen