draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt - problem with default relationship base URI

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:15:52 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Re http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt :

Relationship values are URIs that identify the type of link.  If the
    relationship is a relative URI, its base URI MUST be considered
to be
    "http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations.html#", and the
value
    MUST be present in the link relation registry.

My understanding of the way that a relative URI gets combined with a
base URI (RFC 2396 section 5.2) is that if you combine the above base
URI with "next" you get

http://www.iana.org/assignments/next

not

http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations.html#next

and I think you intend the latter, not the former.

Also, you might consider the possibility that the relations are
backed by RDF/XML instead of or in addition to HTML. This is a detail
but it could make a difference to RDF-aware applications. I don't
know enough about IANA's taste to know whether this is feasible.

Regards,
Jonathan Rees
Science Commons and W3C TAG