Re: Basic Authentication and encoding of non-ASCII characters in credentials

At 01:46 08/05/28, Julian Reschke wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we recently discussed this over at the W3C webapi discussion list, and it turns out that, at least for Firefox, the encoding that is being used depends on whether the browser itself does the authentication (ISO8859-1 plus bugs for non-ISO characters), or whether it's XMLHTTPRequest (UTF-8).
>
>To me that looks like a totally bizarre design.

To me, it looks like no design at all. Whoever did the original stuff
didn't think about non-ASCII, or didn't have much of an idea.
In my opinion, UTF-8 is the right long-term solution, and the sooner
we get there, the better.

Regards,    Martin.