Basic Authentication and encoding of non-ASCII characters in credentials

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:46:28 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hi,

we recently discussed this over at the W3C webapi discussion list, and
it turns out that, at least for Firefox, the encoding that is being used
depends on whether the browser itself does the authentication (ISO8859-1
plus bugs for non-ISO characters), or whether it's XMLHTTPRequest (UTF-8).

To me that looks like a totally bizarre design.

Feedback appreciated :-)

BR, Julian

PS: to me this looks almost like a show stopper for the FF3 release
candidate...