Re: I-D ACTION:draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt

Julian Reschke wrote:
[..]

> What I'm missing a bit in this discussion is the fact that the Link
> header already is specified, deployed and supported by some UAs (such as
> Firefox (*) and Opera AFAIK).

I decided to try and test this out. To which end I created a simple page
at [1] that does not have an HTML link to a stylesheet but then
configured the server to include such a link using HTTP.

The results show that IE and Firefox do not implement HTTP Link but that
Opera 9 does. However... the link you give to the Firefox Link
Pre-fetching FAQ is interesting.

It posits a single relationship type of 'prefetch' - simply a hint to
the browser that it might be worth fetching whatever it points to
because the page that's about to be parsed probably includes a link to
it. Hmmm... that's not quite the same is it? It still needs the link
within the HTML to actually use whatever it prefetched.

IMHO, that _is_ a case for Brian's suggestion of a specific header.

It fits the semantics of link in that it does point to a related
resource, but the relationship type is stretched a little I think.
Suppose that, for whatever reason, you prefer to use your own stylesheet
  - the prefetch might have exactly the opposite of the desired effect -
i.e. using bandwidth to fetch something irrelevant.

Meanwhile, by using rel="stylesheet", my HTTP Link header pointing to
the stylesheet is ignored by Firefox.

 From a POWDER point of view it's important that links encoded within
HTTP or HTML should be semantically identical and therefore present
publishers with alternative ways of producing the same result - simply
because not all publishers are the same.

> Thus I'd really prefer to *extend* it in a backwards-compatible way (as
> proposed by Mark N.) instead of inventing something new.

+1 to that.

Phil

[1] http://www.fosi.org/archive/httplinktest/