Re: Proposed resolution for Issue 13 (language tags)

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:01:32 +0900
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

At 20:33 08/04/15, Julian Reschke wrote:

>OK,
>
>thanks for all the feedback so far. I (hopefully) have addressed many of the issues; here's the new proposed text for 3.5:
>
>------
>3.5.  Language Tags
>
>    A language tag, as defined in [RFC4646], identifies a natural
>    language spoken, written, or otherwise conveyed by human beings for
>    communication of information to other human beings.  Computer
>    languages are explicitly excluded.  HTTP uses language tags within
>    the Accept-Language and Content-Language fields.
>
>    In summary, a language tag is composed of one or more parts: A
>    primary language tag and a possibly empty series of subtags:
>
>      language-tag  = <Language-Tag, defined in [RFC4646], Section 2.1>
>
>    White space is not allowed within the tag and all tags are case-
>    insensitive.  The name space of language subtags is administered by
>    the IANA (see
>    <http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>).

This is going very much in the right direction, but there
is some confusion about what a subtag means. Where it says
"A primary language tag and a possibly empty series of subtags",
the first tag (e.g. 'en' in 'en-US') seems to not be a subtag,
but the subtag registry clearly also includes that as a subtag,
and RFC 4646 is using terminology consistent with that.

Regards,   Martin.