Re: i15: How to tell if a client does not support persistent connections

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:18 +0000
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> I would have thought the most common type of non-compliance would be a
> client that doesn't support persistent connections, and also doesn't
> send Connection: close
>
> This will leave a server in a bad place if it assumes keep-alive.  I
> haven't seen a client that supports keep-alive that doesn't actually
> always send Connection: keep-alive - i.e explicitly advertise a
> capability, rather than rely on a server to infer it.  I think this is
> evidence of browser authors taking the safe option.

Until a client has talked to a server, it doesn't know what version of HTTP
it is going to be using.  So I always send the keep-alive connection token
on the first request to an origin server, but if the origin server tells me
it supports HTTP/1.1, I won't bother sending it in subsequent requests.  On
reflection, perhaps I ought to just always send it anyway, for safety's
sake.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer