Re: NEW ISSUE: message-body in CONNECT response

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:09:11 +0000
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >* - Not HTTP clients as such, but clients of other protocols which
> >    have an option to connect through a HTTP proxy using CONNECT.
>
> The standard requires an empty body on a non-closed connection to be
> indicated by one of the two message length indications (CL or TE
> chunked).
> In this case, the obvious solution is to require "Content-Length: 0" be
> included in the header fields of the 200 response.  It doesn't matter
> if some clients ignore that field.  What matters is that we don't add
> more method-specific parsing of response bodies.

For CONNECT I don't think it is really necessary.  Without CL or TE
chunked, the following received data will be seen by some message
parsers as a body of indeterminate length (until the connection
closes), which is fine, they can pass it to applications, through
proxies etc. without a special case.

-- Jamie