Re: NEW ISSUE: message-body in CONNECT response

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:03:04 -0800
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>

On Nov 27, 2007, at 4:32 AM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> Do you have any information on how clients treat the response if
>> it has
>> a Transfer-Encoding or Content-Length header? What if the response is
>> not a 2xx one and includes (or lacks) these headers?
>
> I can say for sure that some clients* using CONNECT just check the
> response code, and if it's 2xx they read until the first blank line,
> then assume what follows is the tunnelled data.  Such implementations
> don't parse the headers at all.
>
> * - Not HTTP clients as such, but clients of other protocols which
>     have an option to connect through a HTTP proxy using CONNECT.

The standard requires an empty body on a non-closed connection to be
indicated by one of the two message length indications (CL or TE
chunked).
In this case, the obvious solution is to require "Content-Length: 0" be
included in the header fields of the 200 response.  It doesn't matter
if some clients ignore that field.  What matters is that we don't add
more method-specific parsing of response bodies.

....Roy