Re: NEW ISSUE: message-body in CONNECT response

From: Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:56:41 -0500
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Adrien de Croy wrote:
> Actually there are (I'm fairly sure) cases where a 200 response comes
> back to a CONNECT request with an HTML body.
>
> For instances proxies that return a challenge page for authentication.

That won't work. (Just tried it with Firefox.) I think you're thinking
of the case where the proxy returns a 3xx response, to *redirect* the
client to a login page.

> Maybe the requirement should be that there must be a Content-Length set
> (regardless of whether there is a non-zero length body), or other more
> normal methods of message delineation before entering the tunneling phase.

That would be a change to the way CONNECT works though. My suggestion
was just updating the spec to match how things already work.

-- Dan