Re: NEW ISSUE: Monitoring Connections text

ah, thanks.

OK, this is an issue close to my heart, since it affects POST / PUT
through a proxy which uses any sort of challenge/response (i.e NTLM)
authentication mechanism.

Our users have major problems with this.

It would be great if the concept of chunking could be stretched to
include notification of an abort of transfer.

i.e. send a chunk with a length of "-1" or something.  Obviously that's
a protocol level change, but it would allow the connection to be
maintained after an abort being signaled.

I haven't seen a client that uses chunking for POST or PUT though - I
guess in most if not all cases, the client knows the content length, and
so specifies it.  Should we be putting a stronger emphasis on clients to
use chunking in all cases?  That has down-sides as well, since then the
client can't advertise apriori the length it will be sending (to allow
for proxy / server policy evaluation based on upload sizes etc).

This actually could be a good use-case to use chunking AND specify a
content-length header (I hear the groans) - something specifically
deprecated in the spec.

People commonly want to limit download and upload sizes.  The only way
to limit upload sizes efficiently is if clients sent Content-Length
headers.  Otherwise you have to receive / process data until you hit the
limit.

But actually I believe in the end, the issue can't be properly addressed
without a major protocol version change, one that then incorporates the
concept of negotiating (i.e. obtaining mutual consent for) transfer of
message bodies from client to server (as opposed to only having
negotiation in the other direction).

Regards

Adrien