Re: NEW ISSUE: empty Host header

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:21:48 -0800
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Host is full of baggage imposed by folks who never implemented
HTTP and had no way of knowing that mandating Host on all messages
was a complete waste of time (it had already been implemented on
all browsers).

We don't need to change the mandate, but we can improve the
description so that it explains all of the types of possible
HTTP requests and note the fact that not all URIs have a host
portion.  The empty Host is for that reason.  I thought that
this was already on the issues list, but I guess not.

Note that host in RFC3986 is already defined to allow empty
(because reg-name can be empty).

....Roy