Re: RFC 2616, partitioned

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:34:54 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Well, rfcdiff of draft-lafon-00 to p1-messaging gives this:
>
> <http://www.mnot.net/test/p1-messaging-from-draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-00.diff.html>
>
> ...which is pretty good at showing one change.
>
> It would be nice to show them all side-by-side, but I don't see any easy
> way to do that.

A better comparison may be
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/p1-messaging-from-rfc2616.diff.html>,
as it seems Mark had problems running xml2rfc on the "enhanced" XML
source (which uses extension elements ignored by xml2rfc).

Anyway: I believe we don't necessarily need to decide the #-of-documents
question right away. If people think that would be useful, I'm willing
to look into automating the process of splitting up the spec; some
additional markup + conditional text can make this work.

Best regards, Julian