Re: Link Header draft

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:03:38 +0200, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org> wrote:
>> In brief: the Protocol for Web Description Resources is about
>> providing small amounts of metadata about a lot of resources for use
>> cases ranging from trustmarks through child protection to licensing.
>> Such descriptions are as applicable to things like images and movies
>> as they are HTML documents - hence the need for an HTTP-based linking
>> mechanism and the availability of something very much like HTML
>> Profile so we can define what rel="powder" means. (As an aside, we'll
>> be arguing for the retention of Profile which seems to be under threat
>> at the moment in HTML 5 & XHTML 2 but that's a different matter).
>
> Why not simply register "powder" as a rel-value? Using profile for that
> only makes it more complicated for authors and processing software.

Well, right now there is no registration process. That's one of the open
issues we need to resolve (extensibility).

> (The WHATWG has put up a wiki page where you can register a rel value
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions as experiment.)

IMHO link relations need to be defined outside the scope of HTML -- they
can be used with any type of resource after all. Thus I would prefer
either an open extensibility model (URI based), or a independant
registry such as IANA (or a combination of both).

Best regards, Julian