Re: Link Header draft

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:14:27 +0200
To: "Phil Archer" <parcher@icra.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:03:38 +0200, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org> wrote:
> In brief: the Protocol for Web Description Resources is about providing
> small amounts of metadata about a lot of resources for use cases ranging
> from trustmarks through child protection to licensing. Such descriptions
> are as applicable to things like images and movies as they are HTML
> documents - hence the need for an HTTP-based linking mechanism and the
> availability of something very much like HTML Profile so we can define
> what rel="powder" means. (As an aside, we'll be arguing for the
> retention of Profile which seems to be under threat at the moment in
> HTML 5 & XHTML 2 but that's a different matter).

Why not simply register "powder" as a rel-value? Using profile for that
only makes it more complicated for authors and processing software.

(The WHATWG has put up a wiki page where you can register a rel value
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions as experiment.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>