Custom Ranges

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:14:33 +0100
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

I'm writing application that would benefit greatly from being able to use
Range requests with custom units and range definitions instead of bytes.

The RFC 2616 seems to suggest such possibility in 3.12 Range Units:
there's a "other-range-unit" defined.

However definition of Content-Range uses "ranges-specifier" and Range uses
"content-range-spec", which both seem to allow only byte ranges.

In such case, is there any use for "other-range-unit" in Accept-Ranges?

If I wish to use custom ranges, should I stay clear of Range/Content-Range
and status 206? What is the best alternative? (custom headers + Vary?
Piggybacking my range spec on E-Tags?)

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski