Re: Character encodings in headers [i74][was: Straw-man charter for http-bis]

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:18:30 +0900
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>

At 17:55 07/08/20, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>The (potential) problem is that an intermediary (for example) needs
>to be able to handle headers that it doesn't understand. If it's been
>built to store headers as iso-8859-1 strings as they pass through (a
>reasonable assumption, considering 2616), an unknown header with
>another encoding -- no matter how specified or flagged -- may break it.

I think you present a valid scenario. However, storing headers as
iso-8859-1 essentially means storing (and resending) them as bytes.
If such an implementation gets UTF-8, it will just store and
resend that as iso-8859-1, which means store and resend as bytes,
which, from the viewpoint of that implementation, will be GIGO,
but overall, will not cause any damage.

Regards,    Martin.