Re: Character encodings in headers [i74][was: Straw-man charter for http-bis]

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:55:10 +1000
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>

The (potential) problem is that an intermediary (for example) needs
to be able to handle headers that it doesn't understand. If it's been
built to store headers as iso-8859-1 strings as they pass through (a
reasonable assumption, considering 2616), an unknown header with
another encoding -- no matter how specified or flagged -- may break it.

So, going forward, I completely agree with you, but in the case of
HTTP, I think the horse has already bolted; it is effectively fixed
to 8859-1, and we can't fix this in the right way without versioning
the protocol.

Or am I missing something?