Re: New issue: Need for an HTTP request method registry

Eric Lawrence wrote:
> I very much support and look forward to creation of a registry for HTTP methods.
>
> As for the notion that Microsoft allow-lists HTTP methods and "forgot" some, I assume you're referring to the list of supported methods for XMLHTTPRequest?  If that's the case, it's important to note that not all methods should be considered safe for ~script~ to use.  Hence, for security reasons, there's a restriction as to what methods may be used by XMLHTTPRequest.
>
> If there's a specific method currently not permitted by XMLHTTPRequest which you believe should be, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Eric,

see thread at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Feb/thread.html#msg109>.

In general, I think all methods should be allowed unless proven to be a
security problem.

If you really insist on a white list, please allow minimally the methods
defined in:

RFC3253, RFC3648, RFC3744, RFC4437, RFC4791, RFC4918,
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html>,
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-latest.html>
and <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-dusseault-http-patch-08.html>.

Best regards, Julian