RE: New issue: Need for an HTTP request method registry

From: Eric Lawrence <ericlaw@exchange.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:25:32 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
I very much support and look forward to creation of a registry for HTTP methods.

As for the notion that Microsoft allow-lists HTTP methods and "forgot" some, I assume you're referring to the list of supported methods for XMLHTTPRequest?  If that's the case, it's important to note that not all methods should be considered safe for ~script~ to use.  Hence, for security reasons, there's a restriction as to what methods may be used by XMLHTTPRequest.

If there's a specific method currently not permitted by XMLHTTPRequest which you believe should be, please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Internet Explorer