Re: PATCH, Expect, Prefer, etc

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:27:09 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi Julian,

--On August 3, 2007 2:52:31 PM +0200 Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

>>> Also, I'd clarify that the default response for a successful PATCH would
>>> be 204, not 208.
>>
>> Why would a default be needed?
>
> OK, let me rephrase that: I don't want a default status, but a default
> preference; and that should be not to return the whole entity.

+1 The client should be the one to decide whether the new entity is
returned or not, and we need an appropriate header for the client to
indicate that decision to the server. We should also extend PUT/POST to
support that new header too so that the new entity after a PUT/POST could
be returned.

--
Cyrus Daboo