Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-get-location-00.txt

On mån, 2007-07-30 at 20:19 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:

> this is a proposal that may build a bridge between the "hidden" Web
> (PROPFIND/REPORT/SEARCH and similar methods), and the pure Web (GET,
> cache validators).
>
> HTML and XML versions at
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#draft-reschke-http-get-location>.
>
> Feedback appreciated,

For me it would make more sense if ETag/Last-Modified was returned in
the response, and the GET location of the same response resouce was
indicated using Content-Location.

The use of Content-Location is also needed to make use of the cache
invalidation rules, allowing automatic invalidation of cached results on
modifications.

PROPFIND /collection/ HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
Depth: 1

<propfind xmlns="DAV:">
  <prop>
    <resourcetype/>
  </prop>
</propfind>

HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status
ETag: "123"
Cache-Control: max-age=3600

<multistatus xmlns="DAV":>
  <response>
[...]

GET /collection/;members HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
ETag: "123"
Cache-Control: max-age=3600

<multistatus xmlns="DAV":>
  <response>
[...]

Content-Location MAY also be included to keep the two responses completely equal apart from the status code, but is redundant.

Also note that weak etags is sufficient for caching of results (end of A.1).

Regards
Henrik