Re: NEW ISSUE: Content-* headers vs PUT

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>"The recipient of the entity MUST NOT ignore any Content-* (e.g.
>Content-Range) headers that it does not understand or implement and MUST
>return a 501 (Not Implemented) response in such cases."
>
>It's not clear to me what Content-* headers are? All headers starting
>with the character sequence "Content-"? Just those defined in RFC2616?
>
>Furthermore, that language sounds as if a server that ignores
>Content-Language (as opposed to storing it with the entity) MUST reject
>PUT requests that come with a Content-Language header. Is this really
>intended? Does anybody implement that?

I do not think it sounds like that, and don't think it's unclear which
headers are Content-* headers. If you understand or implement Content-
Language, you may "ignore" it as far as the requirement goes, and there
seem to be other valid forms of not ignoring a header. I would read this
as "reject content you don't understand"; if you don't do content-range
or content-encoding, that does indeed seem the only sensible course of
action. Less so for Content-Script-Type or Content-MD5.