etag vs if-* vs range vs content-encoding?

From: PA <petite.abeille@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 21:59:58 +0100
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hello,

I'm a bit confused on how the different HTTP entity transformations
work together... or not. In other words, from an HTTP server
perspective, how does one properly combine things like entity tags,
conditional requests, ranges and content encoding to name a few?

Even after going through Jeffrey C. Mogul's "Clarifying the
Fundamentals of HTTP" and such, I'm not the wiser :P

http://www2002.org/CDROM/refereed/444.pdf

At a more practically level, I have a small set of filters
(ConnectionFilter, GZIPFilter, ETagFilter, ConditionalFilter,
RangeFilter, MD5Filter, LogFilter) and I would like to make sure they
are ordered properly.

Any pointers, guidelines, opinions or advises very welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

PA.