RE: Large content size value

From: Travis Snoozy (Volt) <a-travis@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:32:07 -0800
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Jamie Lokier said:
<snip>
> But,
>
> > it's realistic to expect implementations to check (and fail
> > gracefully) when any received protocol value exceeds its
> > representation capacity.
>
> on that I wholeheartedly agree.  It's not hard; there's no good
> excuse.  I'm astonished and disappointed that Microsoft screwed that up.

For the record, neither IE7/XP SP2 nor IIS 5.1 "screwed up" (except for the
HEAD request in the latter case). Both failed "gracefully," just like you
want them to.

(I can't vouch for versions <7 or OSs other than XP SP2, since I don't have
any other configurations available to test on. David Morris reports that IE6
[on an unspecified OS] gives an erroneous success message. Try it at home
and see!)

(Note that "standalone" versions of the IE browsers may not give accurate results; for me, standalone IE6 fails exactly the same way the installed IE7 fails.)

Thanks,

--
Travis