Re: i51 HTTP-date vs. rfc1123-date, was: NEW ISSUE: date formats in BNF and spec text, was: RFC 2616 Errata: Misc. Typos

tis 2007-06-19 klockan 14:47 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:

>         HTTP-date    = rfc1123-date ; for use by HTTP clients
>                      | obsolete-date ; only allowed for recipients
>         obsolete-date = rfc850-date | asctime-date
>
> Question:
>
> In Prague we also talked about adding an "explanatory note to BNF
> section" -- was that meant to be a generic statement that the BNF
> includes some productions that producers should not use? Any concrete
> suggestions for text?

I don't remember the exact context, but it's already there in the text.
Just aligning it to refer to the correct BNF terms should do.

> Feedback appreciated (please also verify the BNF comments I added).

Instead of clients/recipients I think it's better to divide in parsers /
producers..

the reference to client is not right. rfc1123-date is the only form
allowed to be used when constructing HTTP messages, this applies equal
to both clients and servers.

Regards
Henrik